If you need assistance, please call 352-404-5942

Why You Might Need Flood Insurance

Friday, January 24, 2020   /   by Harvey Rosenberg

Why You Might Need Flood Insurance

Home insurance can be a tricky thing. You might think it covers your entire home in case of unforeseen conditions. However, different circumstances may be outside your traditional policy. For example, if you have damage due to a hurricane, you may pay a higher deductible. And if you're home is flooded, the homeowner's insurance may not cover it at all. 

Let's talk about these reasons why you might need Flood Insurance in addition to your normal policy.

  1. Standard homeowners insurance policies do not cover floods. 
  2. The National Flood Insurance Program, also known as NFIP, allows property owners to purchase affordable protection against flood loss. These policies pay regardless if there is a national disaster declaration in place. 
  3. If you live in a "Flood Zone" you may be required by your mortgage to carry flood insurance.
  4. Even if you don't live in a flood zone, flood insurance claims outside that zone account for over 25% of insurance claims.
  5. Florida averages over 50 inches of rain per year. If it can rain, it can flood.
  6. According to FEMA, one inch of water can cause approximately $25,000 worth of damage to a home. 
  7. If you rent, renter's insurance will not cover water damage to your contents. You may need a supplement flood insurance as well. 
Important facts about Flood Insurance

  1. NFIP is only available in participating communities. Check with your local insurance agent if you want coverage under this program. Other programs are available, however, so don't count it out if you cant get NFIP.
  2. A preferred risk policy may only cost up to $400 a year.
  3. Most policies are not effective until 30 days after you buy it. If you're thinking of getting flood insurance before hurricane season, plan ahead. 
  4. You can purchase flood insurance even if you're not in a designated flood hazard area.
  5. Renters can get flood insurance to cover the contents of your home, apartment, or even your business.